Monday, October 11, 2010

2008 Argie Andes Torrontes

A girly TV night filled with admittedly terrible shows (i.e. new 90210, Gossip Girl) calls for wine! I had a couple bottles of white wine from our wine club selections in the fridge, so I decided to give one a try.
2008 Argie Andes Torrontes
La Rioja / Andes / Argentina
purchased from Shiraz wine store (Athens, GA)
$13.99
Rating: 8.5


I have to admit, I'm always a bit nervous opening a bottle of white wine. I have always prefered red wine and white wine intimidates me. I know that there are tons of red wine varieties and grapes, but for some reason, they seem easier to conquer. I can't remember a Chardonnay from a Pinot Grigio for anything! But... I'm trying!

All that being said, I was extremely pleased with this bottle! Again, I'm always wary, but the first sniff and sip put me at ease.

I'm not good at identifying aromas and tastes with any wine yet, but whites are definitely harder for me than reds, but here goes nothing...

Appearance:
very light in color, slightly yellowish, also slightly lighter around edges, very clear

Aromas:
slight honey maybe, possibly slight watermelon?, it smells fruity, but it's not sweet smelling, it smells really good, could possibly smell citrusy

Tastes:
medium bodied, seems fairly acidic and crisp at first, but then not as much so after a few sips (maybe as it warms?)
light, not sweet (but not dry necessarily either), possibly a little buttery tasting, but I could be way off on that, pretty noticeable alcohol taste at the end, seems like it would be a great Summer wine, light and refreshing, maybe a little earthy (a little cut grass maybe?)

I would definitely buy this wine again! Also, I think this would make a GREAT Spring/Summer gift because it seems so neutral and easy to like! I'll have to refer back to this one next year when we're invited to dinner or something.

Also, I don't know the first thing about pairing, but I can really see this being good with light seafood (raw oysters, shrimp cocktail, etc.). Who knows!? I can't wait to try and see though!

Definitely a good start with the first blogged white! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment