Thursday, October 7, 2010

My humble beginning...

I feel like it's important to explain my wine "journey" and what brought me to this point.

I'm sure I'm not alone here, so even though it's embarassing to write, I'll do it... Hi, my name is Rebecca and my first wine experience was with White Zinfandel. Yikes!
I probably wasn't even legally old enough (sorry Mom and Dad), but I had a glass or two of what I will, from here on out, refer to as Wine Kool-Aid at a wedding. I thought I was being uber sophisticated drinking wine... whatever, give me a break!
My palate completely expanded from there... HA! One of my first true wine memories is of my college girlfriends and I sitting in my (parked) car drinking a magnum bottle of Yellowtail Shiraz out of Solo cups and dipping our Blow Pops in the wine... to make it taste better. Yes, you could definitely say I had a rocky start into the wine world! You gotta start somewhere, right... Right!?

Luckily for me, and most importantly, my taste buds, my appreciation and taste for wine has changed (I'd say positively) throughout the years. I credit most of this on the Summer of 2004.
I made a fabulous decision and studied abroad in Paris for a summer to round out my college career. France really opened my eyes to wine. You have to love Europe... drinking wine at lunch only to head back home and nap for awhile... my kind-of people!
I drank (mostly table wine) daily and almost croaked when I came back home and had to pay more than $5 for an amazing bottle of vino. I will say that I didn't fully embrace the experience and could have gained SO much more information about wine, but I was still in my beginner's stage. Next time I go... it's on!

I still don't have the big budget to fully explore my love for wine, but I think that's part of the fun... Great wine doesn't have to be expensive!
Disclaimer: I will not be drinking crazy expensive wine and super old vintages, so if anyone is reading this (not likely) and that's what you're hoping for, try one of the other 6 million blogs dedicated to wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment