Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The premise...

I am, like so many people, a believer in wine. Yup, a believer.

Wine is delicious, yes, but I also feel it holds medicinal properties. Wine can be a stress reliever, a companion, a liberator, and, of course, a means to an end (drunken bliss).

I don't pretend to know much about wine, other than... I LIKE IT! However, with each bottle opened, each sip tasted, each glass drained... I learn more and more.
Personal taste is just that... personal. So, I feel that wine can be difficult across the board. Everyone's palate is different, so my favorite wine may taste like yesterday's garbage to you. I am simply making an effort to lasso any information I obtain about wine into one central location, so I'm not rummaging through my house (constantly) looking for that scrap piece of paper I wrote that vintage on.

My wine journey (and blog posts) will be random and probably extremely frustrating for wine aficionados; however, there's always that possibility that just the right person will be out there reading and find something useful! : )
Most of my posts will just be my random (and NOT expert) notes about wines that I taste (varietal, vintage and producer information, smells, tastes, general opinion, price and whether food was involved).

I will also note that my husband, Clay, and I are members of a monthly wine club here in Athens, GA at Shiraz wine store. Through this great store, we've had the opportunity to taste a great variety of wines and really learn which wines and characteristics make us happy. I also had the fantastic experience of taking a 6-course beginner's wine class to start my "formal" education. Wine class is great (too bad that wasn't an offered major at UGA)! We tasted wines from around the world, compared our opinions on aroma, taste, etc. and began to understand more and more what we loved (and, unfortunately every now and then, what we hated).

Hopefully this will be a fun exercise for me and possibly someone out there who cares at all about my worthless opinion!

No comments:

Post a Comment